Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 98 22:59:58 +0800

Just to follow up about my earlier intention to make an informal poll of
the white house press corps and their camera usage: most of the white
house press corps I saw today use Canon closely followed by Nikon with
one guy using the Fuji medium format 645 zoom af thing and one using the
G2 with 35mm. Lots of wide range zooms (35-350, 28-200, 24-120 etc). Fuji
800 seems pretty standard. Not one Leica in sight - not even mine since
having researched the site yesterday I knew I would need a zoom, high
sync flash and fast rewinding for the very short window of opportunity
and restricted angle of view I had.

About 1/3 of the Canons and Nikons were digital! I was told Reuters is
moving to 100% digital (Canon) in Asia from now on (when the bulk of
their newly-equipped photographers get back from the world cup in France)
at least with staff photographers - can't imagine many freelancers would
be willing or able to pay for $15,000 bodies every other year... I would
not want to either.

Now the White House is the most lucrative patch of all for press
photographers and the total absence of Leicas was quite surprising though
I know for a fact that quite a few of these guys have Leicas at home (if
only because I sold some of my old eqpt to them): they don't use them
much simply because it is not the right tool for most/all of their work.
They could certainly afford them. Digital cameras are pretty quiet and
high speed film/digital and AF in the right hands means they can work
fast and discretely when necessary so where does the Leica fit in?

I would be the first to admit that the white house press corps does not
produce cutting edge photojournalism on a daily basis - there is little
to distinguish their White House work from PR photography IMHO given the
extent of control and spin-doctoring they are under - but many of these
guys come from hard-nosed PJ backgrounds and know how to get the best
picture in the most difficult situations and what it takes equipment-wise
to do that: quantum battery packs, Domke bags and other fine tools are
side-products of their work for which we can all be grateful.

But if Leica does not have much credibility amongst such photojournalists
where will it find a market in future? I believe Leica needs to try very
hard now to gain acceptance in the markets it has lost amongst pro
photographers or they will find themselves the Bugattis of the photo
world: well-crafted, beautiful, highly collectible, exhilarating to use
but bankrupt and forgotten by most.

Perhaps Remington typewriters are a better analogy...

Let's try in our various ways to envisage a way forward fpr this company
which seems to have lost its way over the years!!!!

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist
Shanghai, China