Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 16:28:26 +0200

>From: TEAShea@aol.com
>Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:19:20 EDT
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?

>The recent introduction of the several new M lenses is quite important to me
>and I hope Leica can keep up the pace.  It would be a shame if they were to
>disappear.  However, I suspect that if they really get into financial trouble
>that Canon or someone else would buy them.  I wonder what the results would
>be?
>
>Tom Shea

I don't think that Canon or someone else would buy Leica because of ...the
red dot.
The red dot is put not only on the consumer goods (cameras, etc) but also
on the equipment goods (microscopes, etc) made by all the companies
belonging to the swiss holding :Wild, Reichert, Kern, Cambridge
instruments...It is a dominant sign of their marketing.They can't abandon
it.They would become  "chevaliers sans blason".
I see in my crystal ball a different issue (such as Hasselblad in the past)
:if the financial results remain bad in the future, the swiss holding will
acquire 100% of the shares in Leica Camera so that the latter should be no
longer at the Stock Exchange.
Dominique Pellissier