Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:52:47 +0200

Charles Dunlap wrote:

> What Leica is sorely missing is an investment in marketing.
>
> Leica needs to target the magazines in the US and abroad which have readers
> likely to want and be able to afford their cameras. They have a very
> conservative approach to advertising and do a poor job of explaining
> exactly what sets Leica cameras apart. One of the best ads. that I've ever
> seen for a camera was the Contax G1 ad. that ran in several of the highest
> circulation photo magazines. It very clearly explained what made the camera
> different and worth buying. Leica ads. essentially assume that you already
> know what Leica is.
>
> If Leica does embark on an improved ad. campaign they need to hire the
> right agency. They need a US agency for their ads. in this country. The
> text in their promotional brochures is written in a strange German English
> with funny quotation marks.

Charlie,

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you.

I personnally bought my first Leica in 1985 because of both
the Rogliatti Books (Lenses and 50 Years).
Not because of advertisement.
In that time I had no friend using Leica and there was
almost zero advertisement in the magazines.
And even less Leitz/Leica stuffs in the shops than now.

Without all the books about it, I doubt very much that
the Leica will still be available today.
(Or at least made in Germany)

IMHO, it's a sort of miracle that Leica is still alive.
I hope that in the future, the Leica management will rely
on something more reliable than miracle.

They make 3 of the best cameras and the best lenses in the world
and few and few people know it.
To bad.

Lucien