Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: Francesco Sanfilippo <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 10:22:46 -0700

I think PJs and press corps personnel are using digital because
that is what the papers and magazines are asking for.  It is much
"easier" to port a digital image to a newspaper computer than to
have to process a roll of film, then scan it and fuss with color, etc.
Note the word "easier."  Newspapers and magazines are not known
for caring about super high quality images, and are known for wanting
images yesterday.  Also, you must remember that newspapers and
magazines are disposable items and an image is only valuable for a
day or a week or a month.  I would EXPECT press photogs to want the
fastest, easiest system possible, thus AF, AE, and digital.

Leica seems to fall into a more specialized market, like medium format.
People who struggle with medium and large format do so for a reason.
They have the time, the patience, the budget, and the NEED for high
quality, as opposed to a B&W newspaper.  Larger formats and Leicas
produce images I see hanging on walls, in galleries, in expensive, glossy,
hardcover books, and in high-end magazines.  This is a different market
completely.  I would not expect to see a person preparing a $200 hardcover,
coffee-table book using a P&S or even an AF Nikon or Canon.  Why would
he, unless the book were about sports or some other subject where the auto-
everything camera would be useful.

Every camera style, format, film, and lens has its strengths and its
weaknesses.
If you have the TIME to create the ultimate in technically correct and
visually
stimulating images, then go Leica.  If you are pressed for TIME, or someone
who pays you tells you to use digital or AF, then do it.  Then pull out
your M6
after you get home or on weekends!

Francesco