Subject: [Leica] A Leica defector
From: "Robert E. Welsh" <rwelsh@craftech.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 21:23:54 -0400

    I got into photography in a big way as the photo-officer (and pilot)
in a Navy blimp squadron in 1952. I didn't know anything, except to
listen and learn from the 12 professional photomates that worked for me.
I got hooked but good, and have never left the hobby.
It was in '53 that I first saw Leica at the ship service store at
Quantanomo Bay. I drooled over it, but couldn't afford the $146 price
with F2 Summar. The Contax iiA at $189 with F2 Sonnar was even more
unthinkable. By the end of '53, I had purchased a used Leica with
Summar, From then until the early 80's I owned dozens of Leica items;
IIIc's, IIIf's, a IIIg and an M2. One of my favorites was a Leica I (I
forget the letter designation). I used it with a 28mm F5.6 Summaron.
Didn't need an rf with that depth of field. It made a great pocket
camera.
    When the value of this bric-a brac took on collectors prices, I
bailed out. I moved into heavy Hasselblad equipment as I was doing some
aerial photography as a sideline for money. I was using Nikon SLR for
fun.
    About a year ago, I decided to get back into RF light weight stuff.
I very carefully studied the M6, and was kind of surprised at how little
the technology had progressed. Composing with the little 90 bright line
seemed almost ridiculous, etc. You guys know how 'conservative' Leica
is.
    I looked very carefully at the Contax G1. I had concerns but I
bought it. The 45 mm Lens was beautiful, clearly superior to even the
most modern Nikon glass. Months later I owned the 28mm, 90mm and finally
the jewel 21mm. All of these lenses were fantastic. I won't argue the
comparison to Leica glass, but surely in the same class. I work mostly
with Royal Gold, and do a lot at 11X14 and 16x20. I do some Tech Pan and
400CN, so I am a critical worker.
    But I continued to be unhappy with the G1 and its idiosyncrasies. I
jumped to the G2 as soon as it was available. It answered almost all of
my objections. The separate focus lock button on the back allows a
perfectly fluid 1. Focus, 2. Compose, 3. Shoot sequence. With the G1 it
took real concentration to half depress the release for focus, many
times accidentally tripping the shutter, or losing the focus lock
position as you moved to compose. Manual focus is very easy and I use it
fairly often. Exposure lock or manual is very intuitive.Believe it or
not, but I have found many occasions to use 1/6000 to get limited depth
with fast film, and even the 4 frames/sec on several occasions. The
ability to easily change film in mid roll is very useful, especially to
one who is used to changing mags on a Hassey.
    I would like to see a wider RF base, of course, to allow for a F1.4
and a 135mm. The rumors about focusing difficulties with the 90 aren't
true, at least on my camera. I definitely  prefer the telescopic
viewfinder, but wish it could be brighter like the Leica. We hear a G3
is coming soon.
    I recognize the Leica family as superb instruments, and greatly
admire the respect and devotion you Luggers show to the product line.
But, please recognize that Brand X is no slouch - at half the price.
    Thanks for your patience.                                   Bob
Welsh