Subject: Re: [Leica] A Leica defector
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 13:09:01 -0800

>But, please recognize that Brand X is no slouch - at half the price.
>    Thanks for your patience.                                   Bob
>Welsh

No, brand Contax is no slouch, and I almost bought a G system, but I'm
addicted to the M viewfinder, to it's clarity, to seeing the image outside
of the frame, to the sure feedback of the rangefinder patch, to the ability
to see in the near darkness. I'm addicted to the depth of field engravings
on the lenses (I really use these a lot). I'm addicted to the complete
silence until the moment of shutter release, and the near silence of the
shutter itself. I'm addicted to the independence from extensive use of
electronic systems (and their propensity to fail in cool weather as
happened on my Nikon 8008s, ruining several rolls). I'm addicted the
discipline of making the decisions each time I take a photograph because I
know my photographs are better for it (I've seen how they are when the
camera lets me get lazy and I'm not involved in the decisions.).

It's good that you found a camera that works well for you. And I'm glad you
didn't make judgmental comparisons between camera systems or lenses.
They're different and each offers its own potential for addiction. I'm just
a junky for the M.

- -Charlie
             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu