Subject: [Leica] Leica snobbery
From: "James Burris" <jabu@direct.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:32:58 -0700

Hi,

I am not writing this post in defense of someone else, but I can understand
the frustration felt towards status-symbol collectors.  If someone decides
that they are going to buy an M6 then they had better learn how to use it.
I applaud the individual that attends workshops to improve their
photography, while I look down upon the individual who buys a Leica because
it is a Leica and uses it as a point and shoot.  Of course everyone can do
as they please, but for those of us who have to cut corners to afford such
a system there is a resentment, however unfair, towards those who can have
whatever they want and don't take advantage of what it has to offer.  My
classic example for you golfers out there is the person who buys the very
best clubs when they are just beginning while great golfers who cannot
afford such luxuries struggle with their basic sets.

Like I said unfair,  but some resentment none the less.

James