Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:06:49 -0800

>The points I was trying to make were more related to the way Leica does not
>respond to real world market requirements and the risks that this race for
>the smaller niches  may carry for the future of that company.

>Friendly regards,
>Alan,
>Brussels-Belgium

No doubt they are at risk in a general sense, but they might be better off
than we think. The camera group needs to turn a profit, but they are part
of a larger corporation and so are more secure than they would be if they
were indpendent. They make microscopes and surveying equipment as well as
things that I'm sure I'm not aware of. We bought a Leica microscope a
couple of years ago here, and they are well-known and highly competitive in
that market. The parent company seems committed to the camera group (the
aquisition of Minox being an example).

I suspect that if the camera group started operating in the red then the
coroporation would pump some R+D into them and re-assess their operations.
Maybe this has already happened: witness the new M lenses and Minilux Zoom.
If need be it will happen again.

The Leica camera group could go under, but I suspect that it would be a
long slow decline since the corporate image is tied to the camera's success.

As far as their niche: they have good products in all niches except for the
AF SLR market. I think that they could avoid that market and still do well;
what they need, as I ranted about earlier, is investment in marketing. They
need to sell the merits of their cameras.

- -Charlie
             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu