Subject: Re: [Leica] film scanner DMax
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 10:02:14 -0700

Gary Todoroff wrote:

> Someday an LS1000 or 2000 would be great to have, but for now, the dup/CD
> approach seems to be an easy way to test the digital waters (I already have
> Photoshop 4.0). Any comments or ideas? Neg film to use, etc?

i have an ls1000. my comment on the film to use would be to stick with 200asa
or 400asa film. this is because the color range of velvia or kodachrome is so
broad that you have to make some decsisions about color at the scanning stage
and you won't be there to make them. especially with 400asa film you will be
in the range of what the scanner can capture without much fuss.

there's nice film from kodak (400 gold), fuji (nph ?), and agfa (forgot) in
that range.

my $0.02....

mark