Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Int'l price differences
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 10:45:53 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> In summary, I don't expect to ever hear that Leica equipment is 100%
> reliable. My equipment has been exemplary, but I've come across a few
> glitches in the continuum.

while i agree with your opinion about real life expectations of reliability,
i think it's one of the problems that any handmade reliant manufacturer
faces in this day and age. can an analog rolex keep time as well as a
digital timex ?

my two kids have point and shoots that cost under $100 each and despite
*incredible* abuse they have been problem free and reliable since
purchase about 2 years ago. that isn't a long time in the greater picture,
but neither is it alot of money.

i think it is true to say that consumers, in general, do expect a
higher level of reliability than in the past, whether or not they
know an ISO from an ASA. they can tell a Point & Click from a Point
& Phizt

i thought your point about the passport waranty was well made. it's
certainly something that makes me think that leica have faith in their
own product and causes me to have a prediliction to buy new as
opposed to used.

in all this talk of poor advertising, etc, i'd suggest that whoever
came up with the passport warranty initiative at leica had a brilliant
idea that has been effective in my case. i have never seen an ad for
leica, i could care less about who uses leica, and the only lens tests
i trust are the pictures i take. i'm unreachable by normal marketing
methods.

mark