Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summicron or Summilux
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 11:02:32 -0700

Ben Tuason wrote:

> I'm trying to decide whether to get a 50 Summicron or a 50 Summilux to
> use as a general-purpose lens, for a one-lens shooting kit.

i was recently faced by the same decision and got the summicron because
it is very light (in weight) and the noctilux handles the low light stuff
(in dark). in other words, at 50 the two lenses compliment each other.
if you could only afford one lens at 50, then the summilux would be a great
compromise (?).

that was my reason and i'm sticking to it :-)

incidentally, i have used the noctilux in candid situations to great effect
and find that people are not intimidated by the lens at all. i think it's
the lack of flash that is key. the noctilux is also extremely complimentary,
probably the most complimentary lens i've ever used. if you have subjects
who see the results they will be even more relaxed the next time.

mark