Subject: Re: [Leica] M-focus procedure
From: Simon Ogilvie <simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 14:38:40 +0100

Jim, thanks for the post on focusing and depth-of-field - it
got me thinking...

If I rely on the DOF and focus a full-length portrait slightly
in front of the subject, won't I get a plane of focus in front
of the person that is sharper than the subject, and if there
happens to be something in the shot at that distance like a
piece of furniture, or some grass or plants, they'll be sharper
than the subject won't they?  DOF is only defined for a
specific enlargement factor and a specific viewing distance
(circle of confusion), right?  So if I enlarge the resulting neg
more than the guy who printed the DOF tables expected me
to, the print will actually not necessarily be "in focus" where
I want it to be?  I guess we have to decide what size we want
to enlarge the picture to before we shoot it...

Simon.