Subject: Re: [Leica] So you wanna be a Ho?
From: Charles <chaslor@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 98 22:05:48 -0400

>Not being a professional photographer, it is disturbing to hear about how
>difficult it is to be a professional photographer.  Is this generally true or
>is this the exception?  I guess I have always romanticized photography as a
>profession.
>
>Tom Shea

Being a professional photographer is an extremely demanding job. Imagine
this..you shoot pictures nearly every day, sometimes you're nuts about
what your doing, other times not so nuts. The person that has hired you
has done so because of your portfolio (I'm talking about the advertising
market) and expects that type of quality (rightfully so). I show about 25
images in my book culled from the last few years. You are expected to
deliver at that level. No excuses. Nobody remembers the weather, the
budget, the asshole, the last minute changes, the client, the deadline,
or the dozen other factors that can lead to medioricty, they only see the
final shot. In other words, it can be a very stressfull job. I love it. I
hate it. I love it....I work best under the gun. Now, this isn't to say
that many, many other jobs aren't worse, I can't imagine being a brain
surgeon or something that actually has consequences, but it's not what I
call "romantic". On the other hand, there was all that time in the
Carribean....

Charles