Subject: [Leica] A cautionary tale…
From: reviews_ed.hifichoice@dennis.co.uk (Alan Sircom)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:58:12 +0000

It is getting close to the first anniversary of the death of Princess
Diana. During last year's unheard of week of mourning in the UK, I
decided to photograph some of the grief-stricken at Kensington Palace.
As I was sitting on the train to London, I met up with a friend of mine
who obviously thought of the same idea. He went with a bag full of
Nikon gear and a monopod; I went with only my Leica on a strap over my
shoulder and a couple of extra rolls of Kodachrome in my pocket. I came
away with several good pictures, my friend came away with nothing but
bruises and a zoom with a damaged front element. At every step, he was
blocked by angry, tearful people and was even pushed to the ground by
someone.
The moral of this story? I am not sure if the wounds have healed in
only one year after Di's demise. There are still people who brand all
photographers as Satan's Spawn following the events in Paris, and those
feelings may well be running particularly strong at the end of this
month. The world's media will also be fuelling this fire. So watch out
- - those classic Leica watchwords of discretion, stealth and small
lenses are the order of the day. It will be possible to get some superb
pictures, especially at Kensington Palace in London, where there are
likely to be candlelit vigils and acres of flowers once more. but keep
the camera equipment low key, or suffer the consequences.