Subject: Re: [Leica] M-focus procedure
From: Urban Fredriksson <griffon@canit.se>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 09:38:07 +0200

"Don Ferrario" <don@ferrario.com> wrote:

> I was using f8 at 1/125 with the 90 Summicron.

Then you should get a significant depth-of-focus,
so small errors would be hardly noticable.

> If I focus
> the M6 from infinity-in, and look at the lens focusing
> scale, then do the same thing from close-out, and
> look at the lens focusing scale again, it will be in
> a very slightly different position.

I can believe that, as there's a little bit of play
between the focusing ring and the parts that move the
lenses. But it really shouldn't make any difference
at all to the result, as the wheel which goes against
the cam is spring loaded. (And logically the same
applies not only to range finders, but to SLRs as well.)

If it does make a difference to the photos, then I'd
guess the problem is with the lens, as there shouldn't
be any significant front and rear play between the cam
and moving lenses.
- --
 Urban Fredriksson   griffon@canit.se
 http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/