Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica List
From: nightblind@juno.com (Don B)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:11:54 -0700

On Wed, 08 Jul 1998 08:59:17 +0000 phong@doan-ltd.com (phong) writes:
>"David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net> said NO to Igor's list of equipment
for sale, and Don B. said ok.  This is what I say.<

>>Much as I am interested in Leica equipment, I prefer that dealers,
professional or not, regardless of their honesty and integrity,
regardless of their geographic locations, NOT post their inventories and
long lists of equipment here
and on the rec.photo.* newsgroups.  Please use a web site.  Tamarkin does
it, so do Don Chatterton, Stephen Gandy and others to great effect.<<

Phong,

Thanks for the feedback.  Perhaps I need to clarify a few points.  I
didn't say "ok" to dealers using the LUG.  What I said was I see no
reason Igor shouldn't post an occasional ad listing items he has for sale
as long as he doesn't abuse the LUG.  In addition to that, Igor is not a
dealer in the same league as Tamarkin or Don Chatterdon.  As far as I
know he deals mainly in used equipment, perhaps working from his house
and at camera shows.  In other words, he collects and sells like many of
us, perhaps on a slightly larger scale.  He has been ok'd (so to speak)
to also place his ads in the LHSA Catalog, which is a publication for
LSHA members to buy and sell.  That tells me he is an LSHA member with an
interest that goes beyond simply dealing in Leica equipment.

Many of us on the LUG like to use or try vintage Leica equipment.  For
those of us in locations where there are no Leica dealers, it can be
difficult  to find good used Leica equipment at reasonable prices.  To
that end I appreciate folks posting their used equipment with condition
and prices.  For those who don't like it... well there is always the
delete key.  I find I use it quite often for some of the inane posts,
petty arguments, and silly discussion that go on here.  But hey, that's
the price we pay for broad scope information exchange.  And it doesn't
bother me one bit.  I would rather have too much information coming at me
(allowing me to pick and choose) than too little, or only information
approved (dictated) by others.

My thoughts only.
Don

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]