Subject: [Leica] Country of Origin
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:23:00 +0000

Pascal wrote:

>When I bought the R anglefinder at "Leica" price, I was somewhat
>disappointed to note that is was "only" made in Japan
>
>Funny thing is that on the box of the R8 motor-winder it is said "made
in
>Germany", while on the motor-winder itself, it is said "made in
Portugal"
>on the bottomplate.
=======================
Pascal,

I believe the very first item to be produced in Japan for Leitz was an
angle finder, presumably for the SL or SL2. A story in an issue of the
LHSA's 'Viewfinder' (I think) told of a Leitz rep. coming back from there
with this (Minolta) item full of admiration so that the company
subsequently instigated talks with them which developed into the famous
liason.

In common with many manufacturing processes, e.g. cars, the multiple
origins of parts which make a whole, (including current M6 production)
certainly relies on provision of manufactured units (such as shutters and
rangefinders) arriving from Portugal and elsewhere, these are then
finally assemled at Solms and final testing implemented. So its a little
hard to say where any one finished product comes from, but as others
recognise, it makes some purchasers a lot happier if it says 'Made in
Germany' rather than elsewhere. The truth may be closer to Portugal for
the item itself, but most likely the exterior packaging was produced in
Germany!

Leica did in fact win a recent ecological award for its packaging and the
press release on this may still be readable on their web site.

Jem