Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality control
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:17:49 -0400

We purchased one of the early production runs of the M6 in 1985. So far
(since 1986) it's been back to Montvale three times for shutter adjustment
and rangefinder realignment. Not too bad for shutter speed recalibration
for a thirteen year old camera that's used quite a bit; however, the
rangefinder realignment problem is a stinker.   Also, it still manages to
chew up film and tear and damage sprocket holes on the leader unless we are
very careful to position the film while loading.

Our second-hand M4 (which we bought in 1972) loads like a charm, with *no*
problems, and the rangefinder still is flawless. The shutter speed has been
recalibrated twice since 1975, and the shutter curtain was replaced (along
with the second recalibration) in 1987.  Go figure.

George

George Berger
gberger@his.com