Subject: Re: [Leica] Is Big Brother Listening?
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 15:55:27 -0700

Charles Dunlap wrote:

> I think they would be wise to listen, even based on economics.

<SNIP>

..listing several *excellent* reasons why leica should and
probably is monitoring this list. my objection was based on
pure economics, in that it seems that only a percentage of
subscribers purchase new gear, so that if you do the numbers
we don't make much of a dent in leica's turnover.

HOWEVER, i *entirely* agree that correspondents to this, and other,
mailing lists do represent an excellent sampling of typical
users, even if we do all have to get over the hurdle of using
a computer and being relatively savvy with email.

to that, i would also hope that leica are monitoring the canon,
nikon, what have you lists as well. the nikon list is often
excellent.

i write this as a software developer who has monitored our
users mailing list for the last 9 years, and those of our
competitors. i made the warning about the economics based
on what i have seen happen on those mailing lists, where
correspondents mistakenly assume that "the body politik"
of the list represents a purchasing force. it doesn't.
there are 1,300 members on our users mailing list, we have
about 300,000 users (more if you count the cracks). and
*all* our users have computers.

mark