Subject: Re: [Leica] Is Big Brother Listening?
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:09:07 -0800

>Lucien wrote:
>
>> (Do you think they've noticed how many cameras
>> and lenses were bought because of the LUG ?)
>
>i hope not, otherwise they are in serious trouble. it takes major
>numbers of daily sales to keep a company afloat. this list has 1,000
>subscribers ? if we all bought a body per year we probably wouldn't
>generate even the rent money at leica....
>
>it's certainly a valid sampling of opinion and feedback, but basing
>their interest on economics is a mistake.
>
>mark

I think they would be wise to listen, even based on economics.

1) Each of us is at least somewhat passionate about Leica equipment, and
most of us are not snobs about it. If I meet someone who's interested in my
camera or the photos I take I am the most desireable of elements in Leica's
marketing plan: the word of mouth endorsement. If Leica can keep the
enthusiasts enthused then they are helping themselves.

2) For every one on the list there are multiple others not on the list who
share our perceptions. We are the largest up-to-the-minute discussion
happening on the planet concerning Leica and equipment and photography. We
are for more valuable than any checkbox survey that they could ask users to
complete with a warranty registration.

3) Our opinions have influence in the press. Some of our members write for
photographic magazines, write books of their own, or know folks in a
position to put opinions of Leica equipment in print.

- -Charlie

             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu