Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji Film/Toronto Leica Dealers
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:45:13 -0800

>I've used around 200 rolls, and I do like it. It definitely has better
>shadow separation than Velvia, but as I said before, that doesn't mean much
>since Velvia probably has the worst shadow separation (shortest toe) of any
>general purpose slide film. Astia does not have as good shadow separation
>as K25. As for speed, it's true you lose significantly with K25. 1 1/2
>stops effectively, in my usage. As for beautiful results from Astia on
>Ilfochrome, no argument; you can get wonderful images. I was only talking
>about the acutance of K25 vs. virtually any E6 film; here K25 (and K64 and
>200) win easily. I know K200 is grainy, but the _apparent_  'sharpness' due
>to the high acutance is unmistakeable.
>
>Yes, I am choosing Sensia for economic reasons. If I can get and use Sensia
>at a good age point, why pay more? If I went into a store in a strange city
>andtherefore had no idea how they stored and handled film I would choose
>Provia.

Thanks, that clarifies it for me. Another film with excellent acutance is
Kodak E200. Pushed to 800 it gives results with much more apparent
sharpness than I would have expected.

Happy shooting,

Charlie

             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu