Subject: [Leica] Quality control & Palo Alto LUG slide night
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 10:44:13 -0400

Charlie-

I enjoyed meeting with you and other Bay Area LUGgers last evening.

LUGgers in other areas should consider informal meetings like this one no=
only to connect names with faces but also the personal contact will reduc=
the intensity of these dumb flame wars we're so good at.  Thanks to our
host Jim Brick and to Leica district sales rep Tom Brichta and to everyon=
else there.

The LUG slides represented several photographic styles including "I alway=
use a tripod with R equipment" to "I never use a tripod".

Back to the quality control topic-  My first Leica was a beautiful new
black chrome SL which I purchased in 1979 along with my (then) only Leica=

lens, the 400 f/6.8 Telyt.  The 400 has been my constant companion throug=
blizzards, tropic heat, t-storms and airport security checks.  The SL had=

to be sent back twice.  The first time was because of light leaks near th=
viewfinder and because the shutter speed dial not only tried to come off
but also lost the white paint on the shutter speed engravings (this may
have been because of constant exposure to Deep Woods Off).  The second ti=
me
was because the mirror shifted position when I turned the camera for a
vertical composition, throwing the apparent focus off.  What was more
frustrating than being without the SL was having to rely on Brand N while=

the SL was in the shop.

R4s, 1984.  No problems.  CLA'd in 1996.
R4sP (used) - loose strap lug, erratic winder operation, slow
responsiveness.  Independant repair shop fixed the winder problem, missed=

the others.  Fixed by Leica USA w/no further problems.

Yep I hate the downtime but the uptime more than makes up for it.

Doug Herr