Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica service
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:08:29 -0400

I bought a Nikon F2 from a friend who hadn't used it for about 20 years.
The first thing I did was have it checked out by a local camera repair
outfit.  The guy told me that there was a delay between the two shutter
curtains (tapering?) to such an extent that he couldn't accurately measure
the shutter speeds.  I decided to take the camera anyways, fully expecting
to have to have it serviced.

After a week of playing with it, I took it to the official Nikon service
center in my city to have it checked out.  They reported that all of the
shutter speeds were within spec, and that there was nothing about the
camera that required servicing.  I have since had those results repeated.
And the camera indeed works fine.

Moral of the story?  The old M3 *may* need a CLA, but try using it first.
Regular usage may bring the camera back into regular working order.

Dan C.