Subject: [Leica] Wonders of plastic (digital)
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 00:09:49 +0100

Hi again LUGnuts.

For those of you with digital darkrooms and ink-jet printers, can I extol
the virtues of plastic?

Hitherto I have proofed on plain copier paper, and printed the final
version on high quality coated 'photographic' paper.

Just started using glossy white photographic plastic film on the ink-jet
instead, and I'm amazed by the improvement. Colour quality is similar to
coated paper, but definition is now very near that of a photographic print
from the same negative - in other words it's doing real justice to those
Leica lenses.

It's probably because any paper will absorb and spread the ink to a certain
extent, whereas with a plastic surface there is no spreading of the ink.

I'm using an Epson Photo Stylus printer and Verbatim stock. My only
complaint is that the price of the plastic stuff is a rip-off - at the
moment I can't find any source which sells it in anything other than  packs
of ten A4 sheets. Anyone out there got a source for bulk-buying?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Waterfall