Subject: Re: [Leica] Wonders of plastic (digital)
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:17:21 -0300

Alex:

Having tried both ink jets, dye sub, and Ciabachrome, I have come to the
conclusion that ink jet prints and dye sub prints pale in comparison to a
Ciabachrome Print.  When you print on the high end ink jet papers and
factor in the printer consumable,  Ciabachrome is not much different in
price.  As far as the rest of it goes, a darkroom is probably cheaper than
a computer, Photoshop, slide scanner, and high end printer.  Add it all up
some time.  My used V35 enlarger was about $1,000 and the Jobo Cpe2 new was
about $600.  That is $1,600, about the price of a Nikon Scanner.  Add a
dark closet and you have all you need to make prints.

The other thing that is missed in most of these digital darkroom threads is
the lack of permanence of the image and the limited image size.  An ink jet
or dye sub print will start to noticeably fade in a matter of months, while
a Ciabachrome print does not show signs of fading until about twenty years
on display.  With digital, you could reprint the file every six months or
so and have a sort of permanence.

To prove it to yourself, make your best print with your ink jet and then
get that same slide printed on Ciabachrome.  It is like the difference
between Leica glass and Zenit glass.

All this hinges upon you having a darkroom to do your own printing in.  I
had one and the move to Ciabachrome was relatively cheap.  Ilford used to
have a discovery kit that included a quantity of 4X6 paper, filters for the
enlarger, a processing tube, manual, and the chemistry.  If you can print
B&W, you can print Ilfochrome (Ciabachrome).  If you are like me, having a
V35 enlarger and a Jobo Cpe2 anyways, all you need is the paper and chemistry.

If you do not use slide film, you can ignore all above.  Although,
Ilfochrome is much sharper and more brilliant than traditional prints of
negatives or other reversal prints.

Regards,

Robert Stevens