Subject: [Leica] Darkroom prints versus digital prints
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 23:56:37 -0300

Mark:

I am up to date.

With a digital darkroom, you can make the fix, burn it back to film and
make a print.  This of course require a very good scanner and sending the
file to a service bureau for the burn onto film. Other than the sharpness
of the Ciabachrome, it has much more shadow detail than most scanners can
take off the film and put into the image file.

As for the wonders of Photoshop, some of these tools have darkroom names
because it could be done in a darkroom.  For the scratches in negatives,
have you heard of nose grease or touching up a print?  Other than the
sharpen filter, most photoshop techniques can be done by a good printer.  I
do not profess to be such a printer and do find some of Photoshop simpler
than the darkroom.

My ideal will be when drum scanner quality reaches the desktop scanner.  A
fellow member of our photo guild was over last week to scan some slides at
2700 dpi.  He was then going to edit them in photoshop and get them
transferred back to film.  He regularily makes 24 inch Ciabachrome prints
and will try one from the manipulated file put back onto a slide.  I will
let you know how this works.  He too would rather do the dodging and
burning in Photoshop and then create a slide he can make a straight print
from.

My original argument is that the Digital prints that everybody talks about
are not very permanent and do not look as good as a Ciabachrome print.  I
regularily print 11X14 and the biggest my Fargo Dye sub will do is a little
less than 8X10.  A dye sub Fargo that does larger than 8 inch wide prints
is probably over $4,000 and does lay down the UV layer.  The Leica V35 and
Jobo is still cheaper at around $1,600.

As for the longevity of Ciabachrome, it is twenty years before a noticeable
change happens in display conditions, 250 years or so in dark storage.  Get
out an old family album, or look at prints you may have on the wall, and
you will see that prints less than twenty years old on normal colour paper
are very faded. The very best dye subs and inkjets still do not last more
than a year without noticable fading.  There are new ink tecnologies that
are coming for inkjets that use oil based inks, that may prove to be more
permanent.

I would suggest you make your best print of a slide using a computer method
and then have a Ciabachrome done and compare them.  You will be surprised.
I am sure there are other members on this list that can back me up on this.

Regards,

Robert