Subject: [Leica] Gen. Loan
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 20:16:47 -0500

At 08:51 PM 7/18/98 -0400, you wrote: <br>
General, and knew him after he immigrated here and opened a restaurant.
His saying that this was a case where a photo 'could lie' was most
what is there. What &quot;truth&quot; tells every aspect of the
story.<br>
It's how it's used that is the lie.<br>
I don't think it's a lie anyway. It is not reasonable to say what the
general (I think his name is Gen Nguyen since I believe they put their
family name first in Vietnam, don't they?)&nbsp; did was all right. It
was not. In fact, might be considered a war crime, I suspect. Yet we know
that kind of thin happened all the time and we were not there to judge
him to be better or worse than other soldiers at that time and place.
It's a horror of a picture, no matter what the context, because the truth
it tells is that no matter the motive, war is ugly, evil and to be
avoided if possible. BUT, it also is a good example of the half-truths
that Eddie Adams talks about in the NPR interview. <br>
As an editor, I am always aware of that fact, and it's things like this
that taught me the lesson early on that the truth that is expressed in
journalism isn't the impression one might want to give, but to the
faithful as possible to the situation I'm photographing.<br>
And as photographers (amateur and professional) we also should consider
that question when we take pictures. What is our motive, what is the
truth of the situation I'm photographing, and is it my intent to tell the
truth, or just to please the eye? That gives photography a whole lot more
meaning for me than shooting test charts. :-)</font><br>
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.