Subject: Re: [Leica] Washington Post
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 22:51:19 -0500

SNIP --

Eric Welch wrote:

> ... had become friends with the General, and knew him after he
> immigrated here and opened a restaurant. ...  I think his name is Gen > Nguyen since I believe they put their family name first in Vietnam ...

SNIP --

Eric,

On Thursday, July 16, 1998, The Washington Post carried four columns of
six inches regarding General Loan's life and his death at 67.  The
Post's secondary headline was, "News Photograph and TV Film of His
Execution of Vietcong Prisoner in 1968 Fueled Opposition to War."

The Post, which is "politically correct," published Nguyen Ngoc Loan's
name as "General Loan."  The Post also gave one author's version of the
shooting.  Stanley Karnow in his book, "Vietnam: A History," states that
just prior to the killing and the taking of the photograph, " Communist
invaders had killed several of his men, including one gunned down with
his (not Loan's) wife and children in their house, and Loan was roaming
the capital in an attempt to stiffen its defenses."  The photograph was
taken on February 1, 1968, during the Tet Offensive.  NBC also had a
video recording of the episode, which it broadcasted the next day in the
U.S.

In 1975, when Saigon fell, General Loan fled South Vietnam.   In
Northern Virginia, where General Loan resettled, he operated a
restaurant, Les Trois Continents, in Dale City, Virginia, which is south
of the District of Columbia on I-95.

Subject shift to pure Leica -- By the way the light was fantastic for
photographing in Virginia today!  My CL and its f/2 50mm Summicron
captured a man and a big green parrot eating "their" blueberry biscuit
at an outside table in Leesburg, Virginia (f/5.6 at 1/125).

My best to all,

Bill Caldwell