Subject: RE: [Leica] Wonders of digital & leica
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 12:46:43 +0200

Mark,
The "master" concept is a very interesting way of defining the original
piece of emulsion and the respect it deserves. I can relate to that. I can
also relate to the evidence of the relative evolution stages of optical
engineering and IT developments. And I agree that current digital SOHO
output hardware/software has its seductions and a certain level of
efficiency. Photoshop is much easier and much faster than anything based on
darkroom instruments and chemistry.

I guess the main difference is what you call the  "12 inches" viewing
distance limit that is required  in order not to "betray" the investment in
high end optics. My position is to use the SOHO digital chain for web
viewing and even proof prints, and to respectfully bow to the superior
results from high end 'darkroom' neg and slide prints when it comes to
produce the definitive output, the one that is sold, shown or given.

What use is the 'perfect master' if you decide to wait for another few
years before getting an adequate output ? The 'Leica level' output
technologies ARE readily available, and have been for decades, at very
affordable price levels, but not on our desktops. Yet.

Friendly regards,
Alan
Brussels-Belgium