Subject: RE: [Leica] If Leica is too expensive what would be the best alternative?
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 19:25:39 +0200

On Sunday, July 19, 1998 6:55 AM, Mark [SMTP:mark@steinberg.net] wrote:
 > a secondhand f3 or fm with a 50/1.8 makes a fine first camera
(understatement).

I agree with that, and so does my 9 year old daughter. I bought her a nice
2nd hand FM w/50mm f1.8 for less than 300 USD vat incl (here in expensive
Belgium) for her birthday in June. Last week, she went through a
photojournalism summer class, where she learned quite a few things,
including darkroom procedures. She is very happy with her tool. Takes her
time to shoot, thinks about light and composition, and gets very nice
results. She even jokes 'bout her mates parents using 'automatic cameras'.
I watch her without feeling paranoid that she might let the camera fall or
that someone could steal it from her. And what she learns, she will be able
to use the day someone, probably herself, might be able to buy her a
(digital) Leica. She will probably receive either a 100mm f2.8 E series or
a 70-150 E for the summer holidays. Cost is around 150 USD, quality is VERY
high...

Friendly regards,
Alan
Brussels-belgium.