Subject: [Leica] Thecameraexchange.com
From: "GBICKET" <GBICKET@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 07:50:32 -0600

Just received an email regarding a new camera buy-sell site that may be of
interest. It has just started up, and I didn't find any merchandise on it
yet, but some LUGgers may find it useful.

www.thecameraexchange.com

Apparently I received this info because a have traded on their sister site,
www.golfclubexchange.com .  What I found useful in selling some golf clubs
on their site is that important elements [receiving the money for sold gear,
and having purchased gear be of advertised condition] of trading used gear
with someone you've never seen before is eliminated.  The way it works is
the seller lists both an ask price, and privately provides a minimum price.

The site lists a variety of equipment [or will, once people start listing
there] and it receives bids for the equipment; buyers then check the site to
see if their bids have been accepted, or other bids have been received.
There is a protocol for bid acceptance,  and the highest bidding buyer is
charged for the equipment.  The seller must ship within a specified period,
and the buyer has 5 days to accept/reject.  If it is accepted, the site
takes a cut, and sends the difference to the seller.  If it is rejected, the
buyer must return the goods and is not charged, except for return shipping.

The camera site is brand new, but I have dealt with them on selling old golf
equipment I no longer used, at I believe, better prices than I could have
gotten otherwise.  Taking the risk out of sending money to unknown parties,
and retaining acceptance approval on equipment justified their fees in my
transactions.

It seems as if their protocols are designed primarily for domestic U.S.
transactions, but could perhaps facilitate international business as well.
Anyway, I hope this info proves useful.

Enjoy the light.

GB