Subject: [Leica] Off-Topics: Butchering Eisenstaedt & Older cameras
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:50:53 +0100

From: "Tom Wyse & Jo Hughes" <joandtom@mtnhome.com>
>I have heard that the definition of an intellectual is someone who can
>listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of Robin Hood.

>Alex

Alex, Alex, Alex:
    Every intellectual knows that the Overture goes with the Lone
Ranger...not Robin Hood.   :-)

Tom

Thanks Tom, something like this happens every time I try to be clever!
Now everybody knows I can't tell my Rangers from my Hoods, credibility is
blown forever!
But at least the LUG is the place to be to tune into popular kulcha.

As regards the 'cheap camera' thread, I think the most important criterion
is to have equipment you don't have to worry about. Getting your Leica
lifted really hurts! When you start out you need to find out how far you can
go into quiet corners, rainy beaches, snow etc etc and not be limited by
worrying about  gear - the camera is the ideal tool for exploring your world
after all. To this end I'd recommend any cheap Pentax K mount camera -
lenses are plentiful 2nd hand, quality's OK, and the body can be upgraded if
you end up feeling attached to the lenses. (My first SLR was a Ricoh KR5 I
thought was the beez neez until I saw the LX!).

The Pentax LX is a good choice, I have used them for years and think it's a
fabulous camera (Leica M6 is now my day to day camera), but they are complex
and hence not the cheapest to get fixed (parts are definitely still
available tho'). They seem to be excellent value for money now, but what's
wrong with the K1000, totally basic, proven, replaceable, and not a prime
target for thieves?

Alex