Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Gear & Kids
From: Paul Chefurka <pchefurk@ca.newbridge.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:37:56 -0400

Joseph Codispoti wrote:
> Needless to say, I will buy a Cheapoflex for my wife so she can snap away.

Don't make the mistake of underestimating the sensibilities of your SO.
My wife said for years that our old Nikkormat was "just fine for me,
although it is a bit big and clunky and I hate the shutter speed ring".
I finally listened to the second half of that sentence instead of the
first, and bought her a used FE2.  Now she takes it everywhere with a
55/2.8 Micro on it, and outshoots me routinely.

She shot an available light closeup of our budgie - wide open at 2.8
and 1/15 on 100 ISO film - that was an order of magnitude better than
anything I'd ever done.  Tack sharp, expressive, even majestic.  Along
with some portraits of me that are hands down the best shots I've ever
had taken.

All of this came about because she *loves* the feel of that FE2.
So the moral is, whether it's kids or wives, if you want them to
enjoy photography, the must have a camera they enjoy.  P&S's
with squinty little finders, boxy old cameras that are uncomfortable
to hold - these will significantly undermine peoples' enjoyment of
the hobby.

After all, we afford ourselves the best gear we can, to maximize
both our effectiveness and our pleasure.  Should we do less for
those we love?

Paul