Subject: Re: [Leica] Off Topic - Point of Comparison
From: Paul Chefurka <pchefurk@ca.newbridge.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:46:17 -0400

TEAShea@aol.com wrote:

> For anyone who thinks that this group deals with small, subjective issues of
> differences between lenses etc, your should spend some time with the rec.
> audio . high end folks.  They make the LUG look quite substantive.  There is
> not nearly the snake oil here.  How about $800 for a five foot power cord
> because of sonic unmeasurable differences.

As a recovering audiophile, I have to agree in large measure.  When I
was heavily involved, I could *swear* I heard power cords make a
difference.  Now I'm pretty doubtful, and even if they do, it's just
not important compared to the music.

There's another parallel between the enthusiasts in the two fields.
That is the folks in audio who say "Any competently designed amp
will produce results indistinguishable from an Audio Research amp."
Substitute "camera" for "amp" and Leica" for "Audio Research" in
that sentence, and you have the credo of rec.photo.equipment.35mm :-)

Paul Chefurka