Subject: RE: [Leica] Hasselblad XPAN
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:22:01 -0700

The Mamiya 7 looks like the closest competitor.  Mamiya supplies an adapter
for the M7 that will give you these "panoramic" images with 35mm film, but
with the added advantage of being able to shoot 120 as well!

Other than the motor drive and a few other things, I don't see the great
advantage of this camera over the M7.

And this whole "panorama" business is a bit silly, isn't it?  In the case of
the Mamiya 7, that little adapter doesn't give you a wider angle of view on
the 35mm filmstrip than you'd get with a regular 6x7cm frame, right?  The
XPAN in panoramic format doesn't give me a wider angle of view either...

I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Given what we know so far, the
Mamiya is still the more flexible machine.  It may be a little smaller, but
I'll bet it's heavier than the M7.

- --Jim Laurel