Subject: [Leica] Leica Quality Control (binoculars)
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:15:04 -0700

Well, it was back to the dealer for my 10x25 Trinovids today.  There was a
curly-shaped shaving of unknown composition rattling around just behind the
front element of one of the lenses.  Also, there was something that looked
like fungus on around 1/3 of the inside of the front element of the other.

The dealer, Glazers in Seattle, promptly exchanged them.  With Leica
equipment, a good dealer is getting to be a must.  I can't help but thinking
about the discussion we were having about Land Rovers & Leicas a few months
ago.  Same story there too.  Great product, proven desgn, spotty quality
control, outstanding dealers sorting out the factory defects for the
customer.

So that's 1 M6HM and 1 pair of Trinovids this year.  I HAVE YET to receive a
defective-out-of-the-box product from Nikon, Canon, Minolta, or Contax in
almost 20 years of experience I've had with those brands!  What are we to
think?

Again, I have to plug my excellent dealer.  I just can't believe the defect
rate I'm seeing.

Seems Leicas are like that old English roadster or the crazy girlfriend you
had back in college -- when things are good, they're very, very good.  When
things are bad, they're very, very bad.  Maybe that's better than the
incessant pain of mediocrity, though.  ;-)

Jim Laurel
Microsoft Digital Television
jplaurel@microsoft.com
(425) 703-1143