Subject: RE: [Leica] M7
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 19:21:27 +0200

Frank,

Very interesting post. Regarding the shape change implied by the vertical
run shutter, does it really have to modify the height ? The G2 is of
comparable height to the M6 isn't it ? Anyway, it seems conceivable that
retooling and extremely large  investments would be needed if an electronic
modern times M were to be produced at Solms. Was that not the case for the
R8 ? Judging by the relative turnovers deriving by the R line and the M
line, why would such investments be unthinkable regarding the M line ?
Furthermore, Leica already has a long history of outsourcing: during
decades bodies or strategic body parts had been manufactured by Minolta (R
line, CL, CLE, etc), some R lenses have been and still are produced at
least in part by others (Minolta, Kyocera, and others ?), the Leica P&S are
also outsourced of course. Leica used to have manufacturing facilities in
other countries, even for the cream of their production (Canada,
Portugal,...).

Why would it then be unthinkable to produce a contemporary M outside of
Solms, if the current Solms logistics does not allow such a production ?

If the costs induced by capital investment and human resources in Solms are
as high as you imply, nothing prevents Leica from keeping its "core
products" in Solms and outsource more of the others. By "core products", I
mean the current M6, the best M lenses, the R8, the high end of the R range
(100mm f2.8 macro, 180mm f2.8 apo, etc). By non-core products, I mean the
'mainstream' lenses and zooms, flashguns, accessories, higher volume
bodies. If Kyocera was able to produce the G line from scratch at an
acceptable price level, if Hasselblad is capable of dealing with Fuji to
get into the 35mm RF business, if Mamiya is capable of passing from the m6
to the m7, it shows that even high tech high end niche products can benefit
from sensible production organization, doesn't it?

Friendly regards
Alan
Brussels-Belgium