Subject: [Leica] RE: Non Leica starter camera.
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:03:00 +0000

My first reply would be that if you look hard enough you can find cheap
Leicas, earlier this year there was a screw Leica IIIb (upon which I
learned) with 3 lenses (35 Elmar, 50 Elmar and 90 Elmar) all for
œ250(UKP). Or what about an R3 usually on offer from œ150(UKP) with a
lens from around œ100(UKP) upwards.

If those prices are too steep, then look towards a Canon rangefinder, the
closest to an M camera, it had viewfinder fields of view marked for 35,
50, 85,100 and 135mm on the 7and 7s model (from œ125(UKP), with lenses
from 19mm to 800mm totally compatible with Leica screw mount optics so
you can use the better glass as soon as financially possible. The earlier
the Canon r/f body you choose, the fewer the features but usually the
price will decrease.

If a Canon is too expensive and you still want rangefinder (the essence
of real Leica-ness) then look out the soviet Zorki 4K, this is very
reasonable, around œ50(UKP) with 50/2 lens, again totally compatible with
Leica screw lenses, all of which can be used on your M-Leica (with
adapters) when you finally save up enough money, available from œ300
(UKP) up.

happy hunting.

Jem