Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Compacts
From: Shawn London <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 98 16:29:54 -0400

>It is just that I want to simplify and lighten
>my life.  I do not want to carry around a lot of gear.  I simply want top
>quality at minimum bulk and weight. I am not too bothered about the cost -
>Generally, you get what you pay for - if you are lucky.   I travel a lot
>and want to be
>able to tackle a  reasonably wide  range of photographic situations. I am
>thinking of recidiving to  an M6 with F2.8 Elmar 50mm collapsible.  But
>that is still
>bulky by my standards for a travelling man.

The CL sounds like it might be something for you to consider.  With a
40mm Rokkor/Summicron, you have a very compact package, which is
comparable in size to a collapsed elmar, and is lighter.  You retain the
ability to have interchangeable lenses, but you lose a few inches and a
great deal of weight off the M6.  I was surprised the first time I picked
up a CL, because it did not look that much smaller than an M camera, but
lacked the "metal brick" feel which, while a delightful sensation, is not
helpful when trying to travel ultra-light.  You also have the benefit of
rangefinder focusing, which does not relegate you to AF point and shoot
focus guessing, as well as manual narrow-angle metering.