Subject: [Leica] The Dreaded UV Filter Thread
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 21:46:14 +0100

Jim wrote:

>I submit the following:

Aaaargh! (in the plural)

>"Optimal front lens protection in unfavorable conditions (e.g. sand, salt
>water splashes!) can be achieved with colorless UVa-filters.

Yep, remember something about that in relation to my  21/4 R (multi-coated
protection filter)

 >In certain
>back-light situations and in case of great contrasts however, they might
>also cause unwanted reflections, typical for any filter. The generally
>recommended lens hood protects the lens from fingerprints and raindrops as
>well."

Note the word "might". Why worry about probabilities when you can be
certain? ;-?

Actually Jim - no worries - my N*****sV underwater has no UV, but gives
great results below and above sea level.

So you're probably right and Leitz (of the first part) are wrong - a UV
filter is definitely not the key to being waterproof. It can, however,
prevent your front element from being bashed in the first place - as would
a lens cap.

I'd love to see an example of UV filter degradation in a working situation
as I've never been able to prove it myself.. Please post comparative
examples if you have them.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst