Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: carbon fibre television tripod
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 06:42:06 +0100

Jem Wrote:

> They are rigid, but rigidity is not everything, if you work in windy
>conditions you need weight as well, and the carbon fibre tripod was
>designed to reduce the weight carried in a tripod whilst still offering
>rigidity. So, they're great in studios, for example, or non windy
>conditions, and there's always the argument that a traditional video
>camera is quite heavy so that helps too, BUT, most cameramen would choose
>a stainless steel tripod to use if they didn't have to carry it
>themselves, it's just so much more rigid and stable because of the
>weight.>>>>>>>

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks very much!  That is exactly my argument about carbon fibre tripods,
no weight!!! They're great for strength and no weight, but they aren't
worth a damn if you want very ridged locked down no where to wiggle under
some weather conditions. Great in Death Valley with nothing moving but your
heart beat.

Besides I can't believe paying the money for them, nor what a fluid head
would cost. Besides if you are going to pan in a stills frame, the fluid
head has to be as loose as your body to swing effectively.

Doing "swishy pans" is something I've done for many years in sports and
I've yet to see a still camera mounted on a tripod as effective as hand
holding and panning with the motion of your body....and you have to be very
"quick"...

Try it with bobsledding and car racing. :)   I know there are going to be
all kinds of rebuttals on this, but it has been my understanding and
experience that a "light weight tripod" is nice to carry, but they do not
stay still if the wind conditions are right.

Basically it maybe a great "tank destroyer for strength and light weight",
but I doubt it locks down as ridge as a good old fashion all metal
Manfrotto...... (damn mine feels like a ton) for keeping lens and camera
rock steady..

I can see a cabon-fibre Monopod great for long lenses!   However, if I
require a monopod to "save my soul" from a mugger or such, I'd prefer
something with a good old fashion solid weight behind it to be helpful. I
refer to my monopod as my "Boston walking stick" to be used in a well
meaning fashion on the side of the interloper's head or knee if necessary.
:)

Just my experience of handling a carbon fibre tripod briefly.  Yep they're
great in the store when you pick it up. However, I guess I'm from Missouri
and "show me rock steady in a breeze!" :)

I know, some of you will. :)

ted