Subject: [Leica] Viewfinder V31#2
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:00:06 -0400

Luggers:

We have talked often of the poor quality of E-images for communicating the
full resolving power of Leica glass. The photo on the back cover of the
current viewfinder finishes that conversation once and for all.

The image "Charleston Sweetgrass Basket Ladies," in addition being a really
fine photograph, reveals something about the 24mm ASPH-M lens that all the
test and reports can't ever do. I worked as a magazine Art director for 6
years, we printed on sheet-fed presses with a 200 line screen, so I know
what I'm talking about when I say that It's rare to find this level of
detail from many 120 transparencies, and it's stunning from 35mm. More
over, this image was recorded on Fuji RD, not the finest grain film by a
long shot.

Also, the image gallery in the center of the volume shows that the LSHA
members are no dilettantes. When you consider that the images were all made
on one weekend by friends out to have a enjoyable visit, they are
outstanding. The Editors of Popular Photography, Shutterbug and the like
would be lucky to assemble such a fine collection of photographs.

Tom

Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria