Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm Tele-Elmarit (1984)
From: Paul Chefurka <pchefurk@ca.newbridge.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:34:05 -0400

Jim Cheatham wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit that was made
> (according to the numbers in Sartorius) in 1984.  Steven Gandy (Camera
> Quest) warns the Tele-Elmarits have a "chronic problem to look out
> for.... animal based grease which could attack the lens coating of the
> rear elements. Once it starts, there are no cures other than new
> glass...."
>
> Is there any way to tell whether the lens has this problem?  How common
> is this?  Is the Tele-Elamarit are really "good" lens?  I will be buying
> through the mail from an individual, probably with "no return", etc.
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thank you - Jim Cheatham

I have a 1983 Tele-Elmarit-M, and it has no problems.  I understand you
can check for the problem by shining a flashlight through the lens and
looking for hazing.  There was a discussion about this problem here a
while ago, and as I remember the consensus was that very few people had
ever seen it.  Stephen insists he has, but there's not much support
for his observations among LUG members.  Personally, I think the risk
of getting a lens of this vintage with "the problem" is low.

I love this lens.  I have no experience with the other Leica 90's,
so they may be sharper, I just don't know.  I do know that the images
I get from it are Leica-level satisfactory to me.  And the size means
I never have an excuse not to have it with me!  A great lens at home
doesn't take nearly as nice pictures as a good lens in your bag :-)

I'd negotiate a reasonable return privilege with the seller, though.
I hate the thought of buying something like this solely on the basis
of the seller's description, without any recourse.

Paul Chefurka