Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm Tele-Elmarit (1984)
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 19:50:15 -0400

I had a Tele-Elmarit with a fog problem. I sent it to Golden Touch and
Sherry called to say that it was not economical to repair it. She also said
that this was part of a "problem" batch of lenses. She told me to sell it
the way it was and buy another one. She was correct in this recommendation
(Thanks Sherry)

The one I now own is a terrific lens. Small, sharp and lightweight. It also
fits nicely in my Benser ER case.

I would not buy one via mail if there was no return privilege. I guess I
wouldn't buy any lens with this arrangement.

Cheers!

kw

>I am thinking about buying a 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit that was made
>(according to the numbers in Sartorius) in 1984.  Steven Gandy (Camera
>Quest) warns the Tele-Elmarits have a "chronic problem to look out
>for.... animal based grease which could attack the lens coating of the
>rear elements. Once it starts, there are no cures other than new
>glass...."
>
>Is there any way to tell whether the lens has this problem?  How common
>is this?  Is the Tele-Elamarit are really "good" lens?  I will be buying
>through the mail from an individual, probably with "no return", etc.
>Any recommendations?
>
>Thank you - Jim Cheatham

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@mail.tir.com>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>