Subject: Re: [Leica] lens performance criteria
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 06:46:55 +0100

Erwin wrote (referring to flare):-
> Some Leica lenses are very good (Noctilux). some are
> only so-so.

It is my impression that all current Leica lenses achieve levels of
sharpness, contrast and  colour rendition such that the differences will
not be noticeable in normal use, and certainly not to the point where a
less good one will spoil a picture relative to a good one.
I am not convinced that the same is true for flare resistance. Under
adverse conditions flare on a less good lens will spoil a picture compared
to a highly flare resistant lens, even within the current Leica line-up.
For me therefore, when choosing within the Leica range, flare resistance is
probably the single most important quality measure. The others properties
can be assumed more than adequate.
I would be very interested if Erwin could expand on his comment above and
tell us which are only so-so, particularly in the M range.

Mike Boreham