Subject: Re: [Leica] 2x extender R disappointment
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:01:35 -0700

Alex,

>Tried using my Leitz 2x  SL/SL2 extender to turn my 90/2 into a 180/4 on
>the cheap.
>
>Quite frankly, the results were appalling. Soft focus and washed out
>colour. Nothing wrong with the 90/2, as shots taken before and afterwards
>with just the prime lens were tack sharp and rich in colour.
>
>I can't believe that Leitz would produce an extender this bad, so there
>must be something wrong with it (or with the way I'm using it).
>
>1) Anyone else had any bad experiences with Leitz 2x extenders?
>
>2) If it needs checking out on an optical test bench, who's the best person
>to send it to? John van Stelten?

Putting a converter on the back or a closeup lens on the front of a
perfectly good lens can give a combination that is good, bad or
indifferent. The point is that the resulting optical system is a new
system, and probably not an optimized system. Most converters made now by
the camera manufacturers are optimized for certain lenses; they work well
with those lenses but will not necessarily work well with others. If you
are not too critical technically, and the image content that you achieve is
a bigger success when using the converter than when not using it, the
combination is a success. It's like when I use my Noctilux wide open; the
corners are dark and the image sharpness will not be mistaken for that of a
Summicron, but I'm still happy with the result, for other reasons. If a
converter is matched to one particular lens, the result may be an optical
system that is superb in every way except possibly in regard to contrast
and flare (due to more lens elements). Canon made one for their first
300/2.8 that was superb, and other manufacturers have done the same. I have
a couple of Nikon converters that are great with some lenses and disasters
with others. Just make sure you try the combination you want to use before
you commit to buying the converter. I learned the hard way too.

Most likely there is nothing wrong with the converter. I would suggest you
try the converter on a 180/2.8; that is most likely a combination that will
work better. If that gives acceptable results, and you don't have (or want)
a 180, then sell the converter with a good conscience to someone who can
use it.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com