Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: carbon fibre television tripod
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:32:51 -0700

Alexey Merz wrote:
>Joseph Codispoti wrote:
>> Jeremy,
>> Thanks for the education on tripods. I have always held that the heavier the
>> tripod the better the photo.
>
>Not necessarily. As Ansel Adams points out in _The Camera_, any tripod
>will have a (set of) resonance characteristics (dependant on how it's set
>up), as will any camera/lens/shutter speed combination. These effects
>can interact in unfortunate ways.
>
>Adams describes one tripod that was sufficient for his 8x10 setup that
>wouldn't give sharp exposures with his 2.25^2 Hasselblad. Nevertheless,
>a less substantial tripod gave great performance with the Hassy.

I have some experience with this. At present I have about 10 tripods
including Gitzos from a 126 to a #5 Geant, a 1228 Carbon Fiber, and one
each of a Manfrotto and Linhof. I've had a Berlebach wood tripod in the
past. I use 35mm up to 400, and various other formats including 4x5 (got
rid of 8x10) with lenses up to 480mm. The #5 Geant is used with an 8'
stepladder to get above traffic, for the most part.

At 1/15 sec, the 400 on any of my Nikons will not produce a sharp picture
when mounted on the #5 tripod with a Sinar head at eye level, but will on
the 1228 CF. On the other hand, a fully rigged Sinar with 480 lens on the
CF Gitzo is silly. In general, I find that the 1228 Carbon Fiber Gitzo
performs similarly to a 300 series with respect to vibration damping and
resulting quality of image, but weighs closer to a 100 series Gitzo. That's
worth a lot. Weight is good, except when you have to carry it. A
combination of vibration damping, rigidity and light weight is even better,
as I can add to the weight with a bag of rocks (or whatever else). The one
improvement that I wish for on the CF tripod is that each leg section
should be 10cm longer.

There was another message re: attaching a spring toy. This works if the
spring toy has resonant frequencies that are in sync or appropriate
fractions or multiples of the camera/lens/tripod resonances. Otherwise it
doesn't mean as much. A more accurate test is to attach a mirror via
something sticky to camera, lens or tripod head and shine a flashlight or
pocket laser at it from some distance, and have it reflect onto a surface.
Then give the lens a light whack or fire the shutter and see if the
reflected light jiggles, and how quickly it gets steady again.

Carbon fiber (and wood) tripods tend to dampen vibrations better than
metal. The more elastic a material is the less the damping. Steel is very
elastic. A bag of beans is not elastic. A bean bag dampens vibrations
better than steel. This is separate from the issue of resonant frequencies.
Since it is very hard if not impossible to make sure that between the
variables of tripd material, rigidity, lens weight, lens length, camera
shutter, camera mirror, etc., a resonant frequency or multiple is not
approached, concentrating on damping vibrations is a better tactic;
therefore the carbon fiber tripod or wood tripod is a good solution even
apart from the weight advantages of the CF tripod.

And in winter the CF tripod is a pleasure compared with the metal one.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com