Subject: [Leica] Re: 2x extender disappointment
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:26:34 -0000

Alex Hurst wrote ...

>Tried using my Leitz 2x  SL/SL2 extender to turn my 90/2 into a 180/4
on the cheap. Quite frankly, the results were appalling. Soft focus
and washed out colour.

Soft focus  was my experience with the same gadget on a 135mm/f4.
First time
I used it the results were so poor that I assumed I wasn't focusing
properly. Then when attending camel races in Dubai I has plenty time
to focus correctly, and enough light to use 1/500 and 1/000, but there
was nothing sharp anywhere in the pictures.

What I did notice was the the image had looked perfectly sharp in the
viewfinder! Which makes me wonder if I have a problem with my SL2 (the
28mm gives really sharp images, the 50mm gives good images, but the
135mm gives OK images.) Is your viewfinder image sharp?

This weekend I'll dig out my old SL, and try the 135mm/extender combo
on it - also a 50mm/extender combo. To judge by what most guys who've
replied are saying, the extender seems to work OK for most people.

Regards,

Doug Richardson