Subject: [Leica] VARIO-ELMAR-R f/3.5-4.5/28-70 mm
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 13:49:51 -0000

I was looking at the current version of the VARIO-ELMAR-R
f/3.5-4.5/28-70 mm a few days ago. According to the dealer, the
optical elements are made in Germany and the assembly is done in
Japan.

This sounds odd, given that Leica literature says that "only details
in the optical set up have been changed. The mechanics, of brass and
aluminum, have been completely redesigned". The original was made by
Sigma, so was presumably a Sigma design. If so, how come Leica is
allegedly making the optics?

I recall reading some time back on this list that the original
Sigma-built version had quality-control problems, so I'm curious to
learn a bit more about the new version.

Regards,

Doug Richardson