Subject: [Leica] R8, flash and myths
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 07:32:43 -0500

I was just reading Jonathan Eastland's book on the R8 and learned two
interesting things.

First, in any mode, if you want the meter to balance flash and ambient
light (such as in A mode) and not have the shutter speed automatically go
to 1/250, so the background isn't black, set the flash sync to
second-curtain. This is great! Very easy to control exposure and use flash.
Cool.

There was a discussion about Nikon vs. Canon vs. Leica in TTL flash mode a
while back. Someone said that the matrix metering doesn't work on the R8
when using TTL flash.

Not true. Eastland's book is very clear on this. The Matrix metering works
with TTL flash.

I KNEW my fill-flash was just about as good as Canon or Nikon's. Now I know
why.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Buddhist to hotdog vendor: "Make me One with everything"